Standard Course Template for Remote Delivery
As we work through remote delivery options, it will be important to consider the student experience, particularly when it comes to course navigation. The optional Remote Delivery Standard Course Template has been devised by Instructional Designers and has an evidence-based design.
What is it?
Our standard course template
- is a zipped file that faculty can upload to the Bb course shells
- contains a standard, simple structure with straightforward navigation
- includes a Home Page (Stay on Track) with folders and a menu with basic tools
- includes design tips
- is fully modifiable and not prescriptive in terms of teaching style
- can weave in learning design considerations as suggested in Remote Teaching Tips
- can be customized so each program area has its own look or specific elements (connect with your Chair or Coordinator about program-specific templates).
- helps ensure that students have a consistent experience in terms of navigating their courses
- reduces exertion to figure out where to find materials and tools with each course they start
- can support persistence and satisfaction (by enabling focus on learning tasks, reducing confusion)
- provides a quick-start environment that eliminates the need to build a course structure from scratch
- contains tips for modifying elements, and carry out other actions based on their preference
- helps ensure consistency across courses within programs
- can fast-track new faculty in learning Blackboard and course standards
- Support services:
- when a course has a standard structure, it is much easier for support areas (such as CATL, service desk, Accessibility) to provide more efficient support to faculty
- helps reduce student requests for help in navigating disparate courses
- Academic Community
- a common course structure facilitates easier collaboration on shared course resources and exchange of course ideas
- enables faculty to more easily give peer support when there are questions about adding content or tools
Download the template here
|The Standard Course Template can be downloaded to the right. It is a .zip file that you can save to your local computer or storage device and then upload to your Blackboard course shells.
See the instructions below for information on uploading it to your course shells.
|Download FileClick the above link to download. Be sure to note where the file is downloaded so that you can select it when uploading into Blackboard.
How to Upload the Template to Your Bb Course Shell
To see the basics on how to import the template into your course shells, follow these steps:
Step 1. Download the attached file
Step 2. Open up the course shell(s) that you want to copy the template into
Step 3. In the grey course administration menu on the left side, click ‘Packages and Utilities’
Step 4. A sub-menu will expand; select ‘Import Package/View Logs’
Step 5. In the screen that appears, click the ‘Import Package‘ button
Step 6. Click the ‘Browse my Computer’ button, then browse for the zip file that you downloaded
Step 7. Click the ‘Open’ button;
Step 8. Under the Course Materials section, click the ‘Select All’ button
Step 9. Click the ‘Submit’ button; the course will be copied promptly and you can then make any modifications you wish to your newly-templated course.
Information was adapted with permission from George Brown College