Respondus Lockdown Browser and Monitor
Respondus Lockdown Browser is a secure browser for taking tests in Blackboard. For high stakes testing, respondus can be used at home using monitor, which is a video monitoring service that uses Respondus Lockdown Browser. It serves as a deterrent to students using secondary computers, phones, calculators, textbooks, or receiving assistance from other students.
Respondus Lockdown Browser offers the following benefits:
- Prevent students from copying and pasting exam contents
- Prevent students from taking screen captures
- Prevent students from printing the exam
- Prevent students from accessing instant messaging or email
- Prevent students from accessing other applications
- Preventing students from accessing other websites
- Allows for linking to external content from within the exam (e.g. to show externally hosted photos or videos). Links in external content are disabled.
- Allows for test results to be displayed in a secure manner
In response to the Covid 19 Pandemic, Respondus has added more training webinars over the next few weeks. You can register for the webinars at https://web.respondus.com/webinars/
If you have any questions after completing the webinars feel free to contact us CATL@loyalistcollge.com
Best Practices for Using Respondus Lockdown Browser
- Communicate to students that your course requires Respondus Lockdown Browser for your course exams.
- Provide documentation for students explaining how they access Lockdown Browser within your course.
- Create a practice test using Respondus Lockdown Browser.
Respondus Monitor offers the following benefits for instructors:
- Serves as a deterrent to students using unauthorized testing aids
- Records both audio and video, allowing instructors to monitor student behavior, or use for oral exams.
- Instructors can request students to check ID and their surroundings.
- Instructors can view results of exam sessions within Blackboard, and do not have to log into a separate website
- Respondus provides thumbnails taken at random intervals, enabling instructors to quickly scan for any suspicious behavior
- If an instructor spots suspicious behavior, they can watch the video and flag any suspicious activity.
- Videos are available to instructors for at least a year.
For more information on setting up and using Respondus Lockdown Browser and Monitor select the following link.
Enabling Respondus Lockdown Browser
Taking a Test Using Respondus Lockdown Browser
Considerations when Using Online Proctored Exams